Mr. Brock is a partner in the Firm's Litigation practice group. Over the past four decades, Mr. Brock has practiced principally in the defense of tort and insurance-related litigation. He joined Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP in 1977 after five years as staff attorney at Liberty Mutual Insurance Company. Mr. Brock's practice has included broad experience in municipal liability, legal ethics and malpractice, as well as product liability and premises liability litigation. In the area of motor vehicle litigation, he has defended liability, product and no-fault cases for both insurance carriers and self-insureds, including public utility, transit and waste disposal companies. He is New York State counsel to an international heavy truck and road equipment manufacturer as well as a national waste disposal company. He also actively defends municipalities in various tort litigation, and counsels attorneys in professional liability and disciplinary matters. In addition, he is a certified Federal Court Mediator for the Western District of New York.
Union College (B.A., 1967); State University of New York at Buffalo Law School (J.D., 1972)
1973 New York; 1973 U.S. District Court, Western District of New York; 2008 Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Principal Area(s) of Practice:
Negligence; Personal Injury; Products Liability; Professional Liability; Legal Ethics; Insurance Coverage and Litigation; Trial Practice and Appeals
- Board of Editors, Advocacy in the 21st Century, IADC, 2001
- Editorial Advisory Board, New York Objections, James Publishing, Inc., 1998
- Instructor, Emory University School of Law, Trial Techniques, 1985, 1992
- Instructor, IADC Defense Trial Academy, Boulder Colorado, 1992
- Director, Western New York Trial Academy, 1994, 1998
- Author, To Get the Best Result, Prepare for the Worst: Preparing the Witness for Deposition, IADC, 1994
- Moderator and Local Chair, Introductory Lessons on Ethics and Civility 2015, sponsored by the New York State Bar Association
- Chair, Introductory Lessons on Ethics and Civility, sponsored by the New York State Bar Association
- Corporate Counsel Grievances and Conflicts: How to Avoid Them, sponsored by Niagara Frontier Corporate Counsel Association (NFCCA) and SUNY Buffalo Law Alumni Association
Memberships & Offices:
- Erie County Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors, 1996-1999, Committee on Professional Ethics, 1985 - present; (Chairman, 1991-94), Judiciary Committee, 2002 - present)
- New York State Bar Association (Member: Torts Insurance and Compensation Law Section, Trial Lawyers Section)
- American Bar Association
- Appellate Division 4th Department, Eighth Judicial District Attorney Grievance Committee, 1994-2000 (Vice-Chair 1997-2000); 2008-Present (Chair 2013-2014)
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association (Director, 1993-1995)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (Member, Journal Board of Editors, 1992-Present)
- Defense Research Institute, Inc.
- Master, Charles S. Desmond American Inn of Court (President 2003)
- Regional Board of Directors, The National Conference for Community and Justice (2003 - 2005)
- Vice-President, University at Buffalo Law Alumni Association (2003)
- Board of Directors, Planned Parenthood of Buffalo and Erie County (Chair 2006-2007)
- Planned Parenthood of Western NY, Board Chair (2009-2010), Recipient of the William B. Hoyt Advocacy for Choice Award (2012)
- Board of Directors, Lower West Side Community Enrichment Center, Inc. (1999-2001)
- Temple Beth Zion, Board of Directors (President, 1996-1998), Recipient of the "Man of the Year" Award (2009)
- Board of Directors, Jewish Family Service (2010-Present)
- Board of Trustees, The Park School (2011-Present)
Awards & Achievements:
- Listed, "Who's Who in Law," Published by Business First of Buffalo
- Mr. Brock is listed in the Best Lawyers in America directory, published annually by Woodward/White, Inc. (2006 - Present)
- Mr. Brock is listed in the Upstate New York Super Lawyers directory, published annually by Thomson Reuters.
- Recognized as the 2010 Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Defense Trial Lawyers Association of Western New York
Early Mediation: The Sooner the Better?
Jul-07-2014 — David Brock authored a Guest Column in the June 16th edition of the Buffalo Law Journal. He broaches a number of reasons to consider mediating a dispute in a proceeding, triggering a question of not whether to mediate, but when.
Practicing law on mobile devices more common - David Brock featured in Buffalo Law Journal special report
Jun-16-2014 — Jaeckle Litigation Partner David Brock provides his insights into using mobile technology in his legal practice.
Guidelines on document retention - David Brock column appears in the Buffalo Law Journal
Sep-27-2013 — In today’s ever-increasing movement toward paperless offices, questions often arise concerning which documents must be retained (and for how long), which should be returned to the client and which may be discarded.
LinkedIn Endorsements a gray area for WNY attorneys - Buffalo Law Journal article features David Brock
Aug-12-2013 — David Brock serves as Chairman of the 8th Judicial District Attorney Grievance Committee, an entity authorized to investigate, review, and prosecute complaints of attorney misconduct. He discusses the endorsement feature recently added to the social media platform, LinkedIn.
The 5 W’s of mediation with David G. Brock
Jun-17-2013 — As a certified federal court mediator for the Western District of New York, David Brock has a firm grasp on the mediation process. Here, the Buffalo attorney provides some insight for those considering alternative dispute resolution.
David Brock's Product Liability Litigation Experience Featured in Buffalo Law Journal
Jul-22-2011 — David Brock featured in article highlighting unique cases faced by Western New York litigators.
David G. Brock Named Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year
Oct-20-2010 — A partner in Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel LLP, David Brock was named winner of the 2010 Robert M. Kiebala Memorial Award. It's given to the top Defense Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Defense Trial Lawyers Association of Western New York.
Twenty-ThreeJaeckle Fleischmann Attorneys Named "Super Lawyers"
Aug-17-2015 — Twenty-three of the Firm's attorneys have been named to the Super Lawyers list for 2015. Published annually by Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers is a rating service of attorneys from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Twenty-Four Jaeckle Fleischmann Attorneys Named as "Best Lawyers in America" by Peer Review for 2016
Aug-17-2015 — Twenty-Four lawyers from Jaeckle Fleischmann were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 (Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC). For more than two decades, Best Lawyers® has compiled lists through a peer-review survey in which top lawyers in the U.S. confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
Beverley Braun to Present at NYS Bar Association Ethics Seminar; David Brock Serving as Moderator and Event Chair
Apr-09-2015 — Partners Beverley S. Braun and David G. Brock will participate in “Introductory Lessons on Ethics and Civility 2015.”
David Brock and Howard Rosenhoch to Present Ethics CLE Seminar
Oct-17-2013 — David G. Brock and Howard S. Rosenhoch will present “Corporate Counsel Grievances and Conflicts: How to Avoid Them,” a complimentary Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminar for members of the Niagara Frontier Corporate Counsel Association (NFCCA) and SUNY Buffalo Law Alumni Association. The event will take place on Tuesday, October 29th at the Buffalo Club.
David Brock Appointed Chairman of Attorney Grievance Committee, Chaired Recent NYSBA Ethics Seminar
May-01-2013 — David G. Brock has been appointed by the Appellate Division as Chairman of the 8th Judicial District Attorney Grievance Committee. The Attorney Grievance Committee is authorized to investigate, review, and prosecute complaints of attorney misconduct.
David Brock Featured at Recent Ethics Seminar
Jan-02-2013 — Jaeckle Fleischmann announces that David G. Brock has recently presented on the topic of Professional Ethics to the business community. Mr. Brock participated presented on the topic of Ethical Client Communications at a National Business Institute seminar in Buffalo entitled "Legal Ethics for Everyday Practice" on December 14th.
Jaeckle Partner David Brock Featured at Recent Ethics Seminars
Jun-26-2012 — Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP is pleased to announce that David G. Brock has recently presented on the topic of Professional Ethics to the legal community.
David Brock Named to The Park School Board of Trustees
Oct-03-2011 — Partner David G. Brock has been named to the Board of Trustees for The Park School in Snyder, NY.